The 7 Habits are intended to draw an ideal-typical picture of an organization and should point out a shared view of where a team could be by the end of the Loop. We do so by examining the status quo of where a team is currently located in terms of the 7 Habits dimensions. The following questions can help:
- Are we aligned crystal clear and do we all have a shared picture of where the journey is headed?
- Are all potentials known and are they used appropriately?
- Are all responsibilities clearly known and distributed within the team?
- Is everyone in the team as individuals as effective as they could be?
- Is teamwork effective, do the joint meetings give energy and clarity?
- Does the team itself make adjustments and continuously develop structure and rules?
- Is feedback given regularly in the team and are all conflicts resolved constructively?
To get an objective picture, we ask each team member for their subjective view of the situation. They can, for example, indicate their opinion by placing small sticker dots on a board showing all seven habits as left-to-right axes. Another option is to ask everyone to arrange themselves in a row between two points in the room according to where they see the team currently in terms of each habit. If there are big differences in the assessment - for example, one person finds the alignment crystal clear, others find it completely unclear - it is worth discussing where these differences come from.
The next step is to develop a target level. Because a target can be found for every current situation. Of course, the team may be tempted to try to leap straight to the ideal state for all seven dimensions at once, but this is no more attainable than it would be to get Arnold Schwarzenegger’s 80s body by doing a single bicep curl. Realistically, however, this end should be regarded as an ideal target state that can never be reached. The question must therefore be: “What is the next sensible developmental step we can take for each dimension that gets us one step closer to the ideal state? (in each of the seven habits)?” or “How can we come one feasible step closer to the ideal target state?”
From there on, we move step by step towards the target state.